Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Sumproduct with multiple criteria and both numbers and strings

Try this array formula** :

=AVERAGE(IF(ErrorCheck="Yes",IF(Group="Orange",Rat ing)))

key then hit ENTER.

If you're using Excel 2007:

=AVERAGEIFS(Rating,ErrorCheck,"Yes",Group,"Orange" )

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Babymech" wrote in message
I thought I understood the basic principles of SUMPRODUCT but when I add
too
many criteria I completely lose track of the syntax - any help is
appreciated.

Basically I have a number of named ranges that I want to check for
multiple
criteria, and, at the end of the day, average. The ranges are as follows:

ErrorCheck (contains a number of different strings)
Group (contains a number of different strings)
Rating (contains a number, OR the word "Pass" OR the word "Fail")

How do I find the average of the numbers in Rating for which ErrorCheck =
"Yes," and Group = "Orange", and ignore the entries in Rating which are
strings?

Thanks,

Baybmech