Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MEGray MEGray is offline

Default Sorting by "High", "Medium" and "Low"

Thanks for responding Mike H. I've tried using your formula, and it works
for the Highs, but both the Mediums and the Lows are showing up as "3". I've
modified the formula to account for where my data starts (I have headers),
but can't figure out how to modify it to treat the Lows differently.

=IF(C2="High",1,IF(C2="Medium",2,3))

Can you help?

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi,

You need a helper column. Say you High, medium , low are in column A, put
this in an empty column and drag down.

=IF(A1="High",1,IF(A1="Medium",2,3))

Sort on this column and you can hide it if you want.

Mike

"MEGray" wrote:

I'm trying to sort the rows in my spreadsheet based upon their priority -
High, Medium or Low. I can sort them so that all the Highs are grouped
together and then the Lows and then the Mediums, but I want the Highs listed
first and then Mediums and then Lows. Right now I can only figure out how to
sort alphabetically A to Z or Z to A.

I've tried the custom sort, but can't seem to get it to work.

Can anyone help?