craftwoodman

Gary,
Thanks for the tip, but I don't need to sort. I tried this and it doesn't
do what I need. What I am trying to do is color code a cell based on what is
entered into it. For example: if cell A1 has an A- in it and I enter an A in
cell A2, the color of the cell should change to green since the letter went
up in value. What is happening is excel recognizes the following sequential
order: A+, A-, A. So in this scenario cell A2 would have actually turned red
since excel's order is different. I need to create or change something so
that cell A2 turns green. I am trying to create a table, but am not having
much luck at it.

"Gary Rowe" wrote:

You could try creating a custom list to sort by. Click on Tools/Options and
the Custom List tab. Enter a new list in the sequence you want and then when
you sort select the custom list.
Gary Rowe

"craftwoodman" wrote:

I have a problem that I need to get resolved as soon as possible and need
help. I have created a tracking sheet for some stock investments I have.
The web site I use for information is a pay site that uses alpha and numeric
characters to show strength and weakness. I have no problem with the number
part of this, but the alpha part is driving me crazy. I need to have the
alpha characters in the following sequence of order. A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-,
C+, C, C-, etc...., but when I use the same =AND formula that I use for the
numbers the sequence comes out like this. A+, A-, A, B+, B-, B, etc.... I
am shading the cell red if the number or letter decreases, green if it
increases and yellow if it stays the same. Since A is suppose to follow A+
and be higher in ranking than A- it should show green if A- was in the cell
above it in the column and it doesn't it shows red as if it were a worse
rating. Can someone help me figure this out???? Thanks in advance for your
time.