Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
winnie123 winnie123 is offline

Default COUNTIF

That is all cells with data

"winnie123" wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Yes COUNTA counts all nonblank cells within the range

"PatrickP" wrote:

Winnie: Is COUNTA telling Excel to "count all?"

"winnie123" wrote:

Hi Patrick,

you could try something like this

=COUNTA(B1:B21)-COUNTIF(B1:B21,"=A")-COUNTIF(B1:B21,"GG")

This will count all the non blank cells and then minus the count of cells
which are equal or greater than A and less than or equal to GG

Change the A and the GG to suit your letters.
Check as I think that this is case sensitive
Change the range to suit

"PatrickP" wrote:

I am putting together a spreadsheet where I need Excel to count both when a
class is scheduled and when a grade is entered. When the class is scheduled
the cell will contain a number designanting the term like 101. Later when
the student recieves a grade the cell would contain the number and the letter
grade, like 101A. How do I get Excel to count the cell under either
condition. I would like it to count if there is either a number only or a
number and a letter but NOT just a letter. Thank you!