Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PatrickP PatrickP is offline

Default COUNTIF

The cell would contain either a 3 digit number OR a 3 digit number with a
letter. For example, 101 or 101A. I want either to be counted and I want it
to count a range of cells. Thanks.

"T. Valko" wrote:

So, a cell will contain either a number, a number combined with a letter or
a letter?

Is the number *always* a 3 digit number? Is the letter *always* a single
letter? Do you want to count a range of cells or is this just supposed to
check a single cell?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PatrickP" wrote in message
I am putting together a spreadsheet where I need Excel to count both when a
class is scheduled and when a grade is entered. When the class is
scheduled
the cell will contain a number designanting the term like 101. Later when
the student recieves a grade the cell would contain the number and the
letter
grade, like 101A. How do I get Excel to count the cell under either
condition. I would like it to count if there is either a number only or a
number and a letter but NOT just a letter. Thank you!

.