Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ksean ksean is offline

Default Searching alfanumaric cell contents and returning with a numar

I can't get your formula to work as you have shown it, in your formula what
does the -- stand for? I am still missing something!

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this...

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Master!D1:D10="blue"),--(Master!E1:E10="frisbee"))

Better to use cells to hold the criteria:

A1 = blue
B1 = frisbee

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Master!D1:D10=A1),--(Master!E1:E10=B1))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ksean" wrote in message
Thanks it worked great however now I need to expand the search across 2
columns on a different sheet.

For example:
I need cell B5 on sheet 'stock' to tell me how many times column D on
sheet
'Master' displays "blue" and column E displays "frisbee". I am trying to
determine how many times "blue" and "frisbee" appear on the same row side
by
side.

Thanks,
Kerry

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A300,"A1")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ksean" wrote in message
Is there a way to use a formula to determine how many times an
alphanumeric
value is used in a column of cells.

For example a column consisting of 300 cells that have one of the
folloing
notations in each cell "A1, A2, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2 or C3".

Can a formula be used to determine how many times A2 appears in the
column
if so what formula would I use?

Can a formula be used to determine how many times A1 or B3 or C2
appears
in
the column if so what formula would I use?

.

.