Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JeffC JeffC is offline

Default Format - Text to Number or vice versa

Hi, when you export data from databases... often number fields are formatted
as text. This is a problem, because sometimes formulas won't recognize the
data as numbers. So, I have often had to manually convert each field to the
number format by hitting F2, Enter and repeat... sometimes for several
hundred, sometimes thousands of rows. I've seen several other accountants do
the same thing as well. Selecting the column and changing the format just
doesn't do it. Even copying and pasting the columns somewhere else... even
without the formatting doesn't do it. Anyone else ever run into this
problem? Any solution?