Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Pivot Table or lookup?

Hi,

If you wish, you may mail me the workbook at ask(at)ashishmathur(dot)com.
Since this would be a heavy file, please do not mail it to me. Upload the
file somewhere and then mail me the link.

Also, please explain the problem very clearly.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"CellShocked" <cellshocked@thecellvalueattheendofthespreadsheet. org wrote
in message ...

I have a list of 633 thousand entries that ties a movie number with all
the actors that were in it for about 166 thousand movie titles (numbers).

I want to reference that movie number, and extract a table or list of
only those entries that match that number from this list of all entries.

The returned list will be a list of numbers, which I will then derive a
list of names from an "actor's" sheet. This keeps the data set (file
size) smaller.

Movie_num Actor_num

1 22345
1 38425
2 12345
2 23456
2 34567
3 45678
3 56789
3 67890
3 78901

And then later...

Actor_num Actor_name

This one I can do.Those are just single lookups.

I just do not know how to extract a short list from a longer list.