Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
smartin smartin is offline

Default How do I do totals that looks at the whole spread sheet?

Robbi S. wrote:
I am designing quilts for grandchildren and gifts.
I have spread sheet with quilt design by rows.
I have it adding seam allowance, grand totals, linked to another worksheet
and now I am lost.

A B C D E F G (and so on) AZ
1. 2 tan 9 blue 25 lt brown 7 blue 2 tan (end)
2. 2 tan 7 blue 17 lt brown 3 brown 8 lt brown 6 blue 2 tan (end)
3. 2 tan 5 blue 4 lt brown 2 brown 1 pink 2 brown 1 lt brown (and so on)
4. 2 tan 4 blue 5 lt brown 2 brown 2 pink 12 brown 2 pink (and so on)
5. 2 tan 8 blue 26 lt brown 7 blue 2 tan (end)
Thru 60 rows

I would like a total for each color. (So I know how many of each color to
cut.)
Also, a total by color & number (total of all 2 tans, 9 blues, 7 blues, 25
lt browns, 5 lt browns, and so on).
I want to know how many of each combination I have so I can sew them
together in groups.

This would make cutting and sewing the squares so much easier.
Each design is different based on childs interest/color preference. When
all the rows are done and sewn together I have a picture.

Hi Robbi,

This is definitely the first time I have heard of someone using Excel to
design quilts. That's pretty cool!

I do not quite understand a couple things about your question. Can you
explain?

How should a color be totaled? Per your example, how to add "25 lt
browns" and "5 lt browns"? Is it 30, or something else?

I gather from your explanation that a "9 blue" and a "7 blue" and a "5
blue" are not just linear differences. I don't know anything about
quilting though (^: What do those terms mean?

Best regards.