Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SixBowls SixBowls is offline

Default text function?

Thanks for the reply. That will get my contract to date totals. However, my
spreadsheet will have 60 months (Sep-06 through Aug-11) and I need to pull
data for periods of time - usually calendar years or quarters.

I am playing around with the INDIRECT function now but can't seem to get it
to work.

"Megan" wrote:

Here is a suggestion on your formula which you pretty have most of it done
already.
I would set up each spreadsheet the same. So the totals are in the same cell
on each page. Insert a tab calling it First before your first spreadsheet
and add another spreadsheet after the last of your spreadsheets calling it
Last. You can hide these after you are done..but do not enter spreadsheets
in between these two tabs unless you want them to also be in your totals.

Create a summary tab and in the same cell enter "=SUM(First:Last!I27)" This
will total everything into the summary page.

--
If this has helped you, please click Yes

Thanks,
Megan

"SixBowls" wrote:

I have the following formula that totals data for multiple tabs. Each tab is
a month and each tab is set-up the same.

=SUM('Sep-09:Jan-09'!C9,'Sep-09:Jan-09'!E9,'Sep-09:Jan-09'!G9,'Sep-09:Jan-09'!I9,'Sep-09:Jan-09'!K9,'Sep-09:Jan-09'!M9,'Sep-09:Jan-09'!Q9,'Sep-09:Jan-09'!S9,'Sep-09:Jan-09'!U9)

The formula works but I have 196 rows where the formula is used. I
currently do a find/replace when I add a new month or want to look at a
quarter. I would like the formula to reference two cells (b3 for what is now
Sep-09 and b4 for what is now Jan-09) and be able to type the sheet name in
those cells to get the period.

Also open to suggestions on a better formula.