Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lou Nunez Lou Nunez is offline

Default Sumif with multiple sets of duplicates

On Oct 23, 11:38*am, "Roger Govier"
<roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk wrote:
Hi Lou

Assuming your data is in columns A b and C of sheet1
On sheet2 in column A create the List of School1 through School1000
In B1 of Sheet2
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$10000=A1),Sheet1!$C$1:$C$10000)

assuming 10,000 rows is enough to cover your data on sheet 1 - else extend
ranges.

If you wanted the same thing but to count the totals by each language, on
Sheet3 enter languages in column A and in column B enter
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10000=A1),Sheet1!$C$1:$C$10000)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Lou Nunez" wrote in message

I have a very very long list with intentional duplicates. *Each school
name is repeated and paired with a different language and a count of
how many parents speak that language at home. *So for example

Spanish - School1 - 28
Chinese - School1 - 10
Arabic - School1 - 5
Spanish - School2 - 28
Chinese - School2 - 10
Arabic - School2 - 5
Korean - School2 - 2

etc.

I want to sum up the totals for each school but there are 1,000+
schools which repeat without a set pattern. *What formula could I use
to add totals for a set? *I hope this is clear...

signature database 4536 (20091023) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4536 (20091023) __________

http://www.eset.com

Thank you both so much. I think I get it (had a breakthrough moment
when reading your responses). Hopefully I can get it to work.