Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Vlookup

An index/match would generally provide greater flexibility for multiple
criteria extractions (easier to understand what's happening as well)

Assuming Col C = real dates (in both Sheet2 and Sheet1)
In Sheet1,
Try this in E1, normal ENTER will do:
=INDEX(Sheet2!D$1:D$100,MATCH(1,INDEX((Sheet2!A$1: A$100=A1)*(Sheet2!C$1:C$100<=C1),),0))
Adapt the ranges to suit, copy down. Verify that it gives correct results on
your test data. Success? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"JeffK" wrote:
I have two tables which both include column headings: Branch, Account #, Date.

Table 1 also has an "account size" ($) heading and the date column indicates
when the account was setup. Table is sheet1, A1:D100

Table 2 has "risk rating" heading and the date column indicates when the
risk rating was calculated (not account setup as with Table 1). Table is
sheet2, A1:D500.

The issue is an account will only appear in Table 1 once, where it could
appear 5 or 6 times in Table 2 depending how many times the risk rating was
calculated. I was using a Vlookup in Column E on sheet 1 and it would bring
the first risk rating that was listed for the account.

=VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet2!A1:D500,4,FALSE)

What I would like to do is have the lookup bring back the entry that was
completed on or just prior to the account being setup (column C).

Your help is appreciated.