Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RyGuy RyGuy is offline

Default How to add values in one column based on values in another col

I think this is what you want:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/?p=416

You may want to consider using a Pivot Table too (or as an alternative):
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
http://www.babeled.com/2008/07/18/ex...-manipulation/

HTH,
Ryan--

"Ashish Mathur" wrote:

Hi,

Create a Pivot table. Drag column C to the row area and column B to the
data area.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"KMA" wrote in message
Hello, my spreadsheet has one column (B) with numbers in it and another
column (C) with text values in it (for example, check, AMEX, Visa). For
every
instance of the same value in column C I want to sum the corresponding
numbers in column B. In other words, I want to know the total of all
invoices
paid with a check, Visa, etc. Any tips or help with creating this formula
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!