Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Mr. Werth Mr. Werth is offline

Default Basic Categorical Pie Chart Question

Thank you, David:

It was tricky at first, but now I'm getting the idea here. Very nice
feature that I never tried before, thank you!

Sincerely,

Michael

On Oct 15, 9:58*am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Pivot Table & Pivot Chart sounds like the easiest option.
--
David Biddulph

"Mr. Werth" wrote in message

Dear Friends:

I have a basic categorical data set which is based on expense
categories for a personal budget for my students:
E 10.00
T 30.00
C 80.00
O 40.00
F 20.00
E 10.00

I would like for them to highligh their data and make a pie chart so
that same categories are lumped together. *In the data set above, the
"E" category should total $20, but when I insert the pie chart in the
spreadsheet, it separates them as two different "E"s.

If I am able to ask Excel to group same categories together and total,
then I would like for the category labels and percentages to show on
the chart. *A legend would be nice, too.

Could you please tell me how to make Excel pool the same categories
together for the pie chart? *If you have time to explain how to make
the labels appear, I would greatly appreciate that as well. *Thank you
so much!

Sincerely,

Michael