Ragdyer

If you *re-read* Ron's post, he very clearly states the reason for the
brackets:

<"In addition, because of the formatting, you need to put the h in brackets
in
order to prevent it from rolling over to zero every 24 hours."

60 minutes to an hour
24 hours to a day

dd:hh:mm
With the above format, every 60 minutes, the minutes zero out, and the hour
increments up 1.
Every 24 hours, the hours zero out, and the day increments up 1.

BUT ... If the format is:
hh:mm
When the minutes zero out and the day increments up 1, your format *doesn't*
show the day total, just the zeroed out minutes.
All the numbers are there, you just hide them with your format.

So, the brackets *prevent* the minutes from zeroing out when the days are
incremented up 1.
[hh]:mm

Try this format:
dd:[hh]:mm
And you'll see what I mean.
--
HTH,

RD

"Paul" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have been struggling a bit working with time.

This explanation of the necessity to divide by 24 is very clear.
Can someone post an explanation of the function of the brackets in the
time format [hh]:mm.

Many thanks and happy New Year to all, especially those very generous
posters that tirelessly answer all our questions.

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:07:01 -0800, "DMachado"

wrote:

Hi
I need to calculate the production time for a partcular machine.
A1= quantity to produce= 4,800
B1= production/hour= 200
C1= production time= A1/B1 returns 00:00 (format is hh:mm), not

24:00 hours.
Could somebody help me with that?
Thank you and happy new year!

If you want to use the Excel time format, then you need to know that

Excel
represents days as integers. So 1 day = 1 = 24 hours.

In addition, because of the formatting, you need to put the h in

brackets in
order to prevent it from rolling over to zero every 24 hours.

So to get the value you want, in Excel time format, you need to

divide your
formula result by 24 (so hours are represented as the appropriate

fraction of a
day); and then change your format to [hh]:mm or [h]:mm

C1= A1/B1/24

--ron