Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Formating Day of the week

=left(text(a1,"dddd"),3)

This will do the same thing:

=TEXT(A1,"ddd")

"ddd" = short weekday name format: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun

"dddd" = long weekday name format: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ork" wrote in message
Donna,
Hi.
How about =left(text(a1,"dddd"),3)
which would yeield Fri
if a1=today()
3 would be the # of chars to display

I'm sure there are other ways.
Not sure if this is what you wanted either.

"Donna" wrote:

I have a monthly template that I use for scheduling. Once I change the
month,
I have the worksheet formulated to change the dates. I then used a lookup
table to add what the day of week is. I want to show the abbreviation
instead
of the whole word. I tried adding text(be,"ddd") to the formula but could
not
get it to work. Any suggestions.

Thank you!
--