Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Randomly add numbers in a group

"Max" wrote:
Try this Tom Ogilvy classic for a way using Solver:
http://tinyurl.com/5kx9bw

Nice!

If Solver cannot find an exact sum (certainly try that first), I would solve
for the Min of ABS(D1-1391.03) in Tom's example.

But either way, for N numbers, Solver might have to look at 2^N - 1
combinations.

In Excel 2003, Solver's Iteration option is limited to 32767.

Does that mean this approach might not be suitable when N is more than 15?

(Unless you get lucky, of course.)

Or am I misunderstanding the Iteration option?