Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Bridges[_2_] Bob Bridges[_2_] is offline

Default sum hours and minutes with Excel 2000

Nothing could be simpler, Bill. If you have them recorded in Excel's notion
of time, ie if they're displayed using one of the time formats like "[h]:mm",
then you can simply sum them up. If the sum shows up looking like a date (eg
"January 13, 1900, 09:02"), then just change the sum cell's format to
"[h]:mm".

If you have these hours and minutes stored as (for example) "13" in col E
and "25" in col F to indicate 13:25 (13 hours and 25 minutes), then in col G
or wherever you'll need to convert these values to Excel-internal time; just
use =(E2+F2/60)/24. That gets you each row's time as expressed in fractions
of a day (which is how Excel does it); then format these cells to show hours
and minutes properly and sum the resulting column.

--- "bill" wrote:
During the year I kept a log of the hours and minutes spent daily on a
project. Now the tax man want me to post it in hours and minutes per week. I
have Excel 2000 and I would like to add up the total number of hours spent in
each week.