Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Need To Know Need To Know is offline

Default Converting a symbol to a numeric value?

I am a novice and can only do simple calculations. I am wanting to set up a
scoresheet for bowling and do not know how to tell a cell X has a value of 10
and to calculate the next to cells. I need information in very basic terms
if possible and I need to know how to excel / is a symbol spare worth 10
plus value of next cell. Anyone know how to do this in very basic tems for
directions or illustrtations. Thanks for any help form anyone.

"Scrap Monkey" wrote:

I want to use a 'tick' symbol in a spread sheet recording attendance. I would
like to then total the number of ticks in a row. How do I get Excel to give
each cell with a tick a value of 1 so that I can simply use the auto sum
facility at the end of the row?