Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. T. is offline

Default Adding one to the number from the previous cell with text...

As much as I like what zvkmpw showed me, it's not fixing it. From cell C1 to
cell Z1 I need it fill in 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, 2A, 2B, etc. Does that
make sense?

T.

"JLatham" wrote:

See if what zvkmpw offered works for you. If it does not, I need more sample
data just as it's laid out in your workbook. Your initial sample data showed
the entries going dow a row. But now you say "I am running this across the
top of the page..." and so I'm a bit confused as to the layout of your
worksheet now.

"T." wrote:

JLatham, thanks for the response. I am running this across the top of the
page, which is still working. I need it to go out to the letter "F" before
it starts on the next count. I have tried fixing this myself, but to no
avail. Can you tell me how to extend it out? This is what I was trying...

=IF(RIGHT(C1,1)="C",VALUE(LEFT(C1,LEN(C1)-1))+1&"A",IF(RIGHT(C1,1)="A",LEFT(C1,1)&"B",LEFT(C 1,1)&"C",LEFT(C1,1)&"D",LEFT(C1,1)&"E",LEFT(C1,1)& "F")
)

Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing! LOL
Thanks again so much for your help! This is going to save me tons of time!

"JLatham" wrote:

Second half of the problem first:

With 1A entered into cell A2, put this formula into cell A3 and fill it down
the sheet as far as you need:
=IF(RIGHT(A2,1)="C",VALUE(LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-1))+1 &
"A",IF(RIGHT(A2,1)="A",LEFT(A2,1) &"B",LEFT(A2,1) & "C")

Remember that all of that is one formula, without an [enter] key in the
middle anywhere.

That should take care of your 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C ... problem.

Now for the Lesson 1... problem. If you have Lesson 1 in A2 and you have
Lesson 2 in A3, just select them both and then fill down, Excel is smart
enough to figure out that you want a series.

If your 1A, 1B, or Lesson # entries are spread out down the sheet, things
become a bit tougher. The solutions I've provided assume that each entry is
on the row below the last previous entry.