Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default IF and VLOOKUP formula combined together

The first part of your formula is not doing what you think it's doing. even
though you wrote "K8=aa11:aa21", the next part of the formula requires a
single value, so its only passing the first value from the array (in this
case, false). As you formula as no criteria given for what to do with a false
statement, the function results to false.

If you are really wanting to check if K8 is found anywhere in aa1:aa21, and
if not, return a blank cell, correct syntax would be:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(K8,AA11:AA21,0)),VLOOKUP(K8,
'Regular Assessment Table'!I2:J12,2,FALSE),"")

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Don B" wrote:

{=IF(K8=AA11:AA21,VLOOKUP(K8,'Regular Assessment Table'!
I2:J12,2,FALSE))}

The above formula is looking up a K8 text content and returning a
vlookup value from a table. Part of the text I enter is "104(a)
Citation" and the formula return the correct value. But when I enter
"104(d)(1) Citation" the formula returns FALSE. For the life of me I
cannot determine why this is happening. Any ideas?