Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Autofill column values in formulas

You may be able to use =indirect() or =index(), but you didn't share enough of
the formula to get a meaningful suggestion (from me anyway).

When I want this kind of increment in a formula, I'll do this...

I'll create a formula that builds a string that looks like the formula:

="=if(isnumber(sheet2!c"&(6*(row()-1)+1&")...."
This assumes that the formula is in row 1.
If the formula is in a different row, then I'd adjust that (6*(row()-1)+1 to a
different expression.

Then I'd drag this formula down.

If my formula that builds that string looks like it's the correct formula, then
I'll convert it to values.
(edit|copy followed by edit|paste special|values).

But the results are still just plain old strings (that look like formulas).

Next, I'd convert it to formulas.

Select the single column range.
Data|text to columns
Choose Fixed width, but don't have any delimiters.

Excel will see the results as those nice straight-forward formulas.

============
If you want to try this, but are having trouble, share your entire formula and
the cell that gets that first formula.

NOV Michael S wrote:

I can't get excel to autofill my formula correctly. I need it to refer to
every sixth cell on another sheet. Excel just chooses the number of cells I
click for autofill and increments the cell number by that much.

e.g., =if(isnumber(sheet2!c1)... then next row down is =if(...c7) and next
is c13, etc. the autofill pattern for the next cells is c4, c10, and c16. I
need it to be c19, c25, and c31. Selecting 6 cells doesnt work either, i.e.,
1,7,13,19,25,31 produces 7,13,19,25,31,37. How do I go about this?

TIA

--

Dave Peterson