Biff

Hi!

What's the final word?

Good question!

The method least likely to fail and the one that's most efficient would be
Aladin's. (it usually is!)

This thread is a good representation that demonstrates how many different
ways there are to accomplish a task.

Options are a good thing!

Biff

"z.entropic" wrote in message
Thank you-works great!

I'm glad my question has started such a spirited exchange, but in the end
it
confused the heck out of me! What's the final word?

z.entropic

"Aladin Akyurek" wrote:

z.entropic wrote:
Attempting to autorange the chart, I've tried to use Ozgrid's solutions
with
named ranges, e.g.:
===============
Expand Down to The Last Numeric Entry
In the Refers to box type: =OFFSET($A$1,0,0,MATCH(1E+306,$A:$A,1),1)

4:Expand Down to The Last Text Entry
In the Refers to box type: =OFFSET($A$1,0,0,MATCH("*",$A:$A,-1),1)
================

Somehow, these formulas choke up with my mix of numbers, text strings
and
blanks. Unfortunately, the column can have either as the last item.
COUNT,
COUNTA and COUNTBLANK didn't help to resolve the issue. Is there a
better
way to count the number of rows with such a mix of entries?

z.entropic

E2;

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A)

E3:

=MATCH(REPT("z",255),A:A)

E4:

=IF(COUNT(E2:E3)=2,MAX(E2:E3),SUMIF(E2:E3,"<#N/A"))

The following would define a dynamic range in A on Sheet1:

=Sheet1!$A$1:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,E4)