Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BSc Chem Eng Rick BSc Chem Eng Rick is offline

Default Something strange happening while switching from xlBar to xlSt

OK Cool, now I understand what you're trying to do. Plot your bar chart as
you have always done. Now right click on your start series -- "Format Data
Series" Under the "Series Options" set "Series Overlap" to 100% Overlapped.
You should see the series on top of each other.

Now "Chart Tools" -- "Design" -- "Select Data" and change the order of
your series' so that Start comes after Finish.

If this helps please click "Yes"
<<<<<<<<<<

"SoftwareTester" wrote:

I know that if I use Duration instead of Finish I can create a stackedBar
correctly, but I do have Finish available and not Duration. Of course I can
add an extra column but I want to avoid that if possible.

I don't understand WHY xlBar uses the same values (days) to start drawing
(and draws 2 bars below each other) and xlStackedBar will not. Even if I
adjust the Scale of the Finish series it will not display correctly and use
secondary axis.
So basically it comes down to "how can I make Finish use primary axis as well"

I realy want to use Start AND Finish using primary axis for both as I want
to use secondary axis for something else.

Any ideas?

"BSc Chem Eng Rick" wrote:

Hi

SoftwareTester, what you get when you change to stacked is correct, remember
a stacked bar basically takes the reference as "Zero" then plots the first
number (say 4000 in one colour), it then adds the next number to 4000 (say
2000) and plots from 4000 to 6000 in a different colour. If you change your
dates to numbers and add them together you will see what I'm saying.

What you need to do is plot the start Date and then the DIFFERENCE between
the start and finishing dates. Try this as your table,

Task Start Finish
Task1 13-Oct-09 35
Task2 10-Nov-09 120
Task3 01-Oct-09 0

If this helps please click "Yes".
Rick

"SoftwareTester" wrote:

No, that's not the problem

It's very easy to reproduce it (and I did on several PCs).
Please have a look and you'll see

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

Is it possible that one of the bars is on the secondary axis?

HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"SoftwareTester" wrote:

While changing from xlBar into xlStackedBar the chart changes very strange.
If I change back all is OK again.

Task Start Finish
Task 1 13-Oct-09 17-Nov-09
Task 2 10-Nov-09 10-Mar-10
Task 3 01-Oct-09 01-Oct-09

I select all 3 columns and create a Bar chart from the menu. All OK
(for each task 2 bars appear, 'finish' being longer)

If I now change the charttype into StackedBar
the (each !) 'Start' bar will occupy the same size like the (each !)
'Finish' bar and will be visibible right in front of (or 'covering half of
the ) 'Finish' bar.

Any idea why it happens and how I can correct it