Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Experience with 2003 & 2007 on same computer?

"JoeU2004" wrote in message
"Bob Phillips" wrote:

I do find it very difficult to know which version
a spreadsheet will open in

Can you elaborate? Surely it is not random. (Famous last words.)

In Win XP, I believe there is a way to associate specific applications
with specific extensions. (Folder Options control File Types.) Can't
you assign Excel 2003 to "xls" and "csv" (and perhaps others) and Excel
2007 to "xlsm"?

Not sure if browers pay attention to those File Types assignments, though.
The architecture has never been clear to me, e.g. how Excel appears to be
in an IE window instead of its own.

I am sure it is not random, it is just that I have never figured out the
pattern. If I have no Excel open, double-clicking any file type seems to
fire up Excel 2007, but if I have them both open (which I usually do), I am
not able to predict which they will open in. As such I tend to drag the file
into the version I want.

I have all of my file types setup correctly (I use XP), so it should work. I
am convinced it is something to do with the compatibility pack, but I am not
sure what.

As to browsers, I am sure I could get it better if I messed about with MIME
types, but life is too short.