Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tom tom is offline

Default Help with Excel Sum Function

Hi All,
I need help with an Excel formula, I'm trying to create a formula that will
calculate the total for each client from the Jan workbook and put it on the
Summary workbook, matching by client name columns (Client). So for example
sum in col C3 in Summary all entries in Jan col C that match Alkeon by
matching the name in Summary A3 with Jan Col C giving a total of 1083.76 from
the data below.

Summary (Workbook)
(Cell)A C
1Client Jan
21798 Capital #N/A
3Alkeon 1083.76
4Alydar 823.90

Jan (Workbook)
(Cell)C G
1Client Cost
2Alkeon 541.88
3Alkeon 541.88
4Alydar 618.9
5Alydar 102.50
6Alydar 102.50

I've tried sum & vlookup but neither one quite worked (ex below), what's the
best function to accomplish this?
I've tried
=SUM(IF(Jan!$C$2:$C$194="Alydar",Jan!$G$2:$G$194,0 ))
and
=VLOOKUP(A3,Jan!C$2:G$999,5,FALSE)
but neither one quite worked, any suggestions?

Tom