Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Concatenate maximum number of parameters

Excel HELP for Concatenate will tell you the number of parameters limit for
the version you are using. In Excel 2003 it is 30.

But you don't have to use CONCATENATE() to concatenate things! And that
would remove the 30 parameter limit, moving you to the limit for a formula
(1024 characters in 2003).

Consider this example (that concatenates A1 on the sheet with the formula
with C4 from another sheet in the same book, and A7 on Sheet1 in another
workbook, with commas separating each):
=CONCATENATE(A1," , ",Sheet3!C4," , ",[Book2]Sheet1!$A$7)
can be written without CONCATENATE as
=A1 & " , " & Sheet3!C4 & " , " & [Book2]Sheet1!$A$7
with the same results.

"Jorge E. Jaramillo" wrote:

I need to consolidate the results of all the sheets of a workbook in a final
sheet. For this I use the concatenate function. To try to organize the
results, I added a comma in between each value (",",) but since the formula
requires the name of each tab and cell and some of the names of the tabs are
kind of long, I am getting an error message about entering too many
parameters. My workaround was to remove some of the commas at the end of the
formula, and the formula works now this way, but now the results look
difficult to understand.

Could someone please tell me what the limit of parameters is and if is there
a way to solve this?

Jorge E Jaramillo