momsawake

Been beating my head against sorting mixed item numbers for about 2 hours
myself; got the alphanumeric mix converted to text but that creates a new
problem in that 121 sorts before 12, so I'm no better off. Idea?

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

Ray wrote:
I would like to know if there is a way to do an alphanumeric sort on some
data. I have item numbers like:
100
100A
200
300XX

A current sort returns
100
200
100A
300XX

Any Ideas?

Is this the sort order you're trying to get to?

100
100A
200
300XX

The sort you showed is apparently the result of your column being some
numbers and some text mixed in together. Make all the cells text and it
sorts into the order that I've shown above.

If you have a few cells you can edit them and place a ' at the beginning
of the cell to force it to text.

If you've got a bunch of them then you might create another column:

This column will be text and you can either sort on that, or copy the
new column and PasteSpecial/Values over top of the original data to
force it to become text.

Good luck....

Bill