Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
L. Howard Kittle L. Howard Kittle is offline

Default vlookup for client list

Hi Karen,

This should work for you.

=VLOOKUP(A8,B1:L5,{2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11},0)

Where A8 has the client ID to be looked up, (perhaps using a data valadation
drop down).

B1:L5 is the client information, with the client ID's in the B column and
the associated info for that client in the 10 cells to the right.

Select 10 cells in the row where you want the client data to be displayed,
something like C8:L8. While still selected, type the formula above in the
'white' cell of the selected cells. Now hold Crtl Shift down and hit
Enter.

You will get curly brackets around the formula in the formula bar and your
data should be displayed in the selected cells. (Do not type the curly
brackets into the formula, Excel will do that when you commit the formula.

If you need to edit/change the formula you must select ALL the cells again,
make your changes and use CTRL SHIFT ENTER again.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"xololady" wrote in message
I am working on a billing spreadsheet. Each client has a client ID plus
other details over 11 columns. I created client list with their specific
info. When I try to use a VLOOKUP formula on new worksheet, I can only
get
client ID and name (first 2 columns) without the other columns. I want to
be
able to type client id number and have the rest of the info automatically
fill in the row. Please tell me what I am missing.

Thank you, Karen