Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default count array for top three entries and return their number

Try this...

Assume your numbers are in the range A1:M1.

In the formulas rng refers to A$1:M$1

Enter this formula in A5:

=MODE(rng)

Enter this array formula** in A6 and copy down to A7:

=MODE(IF(COUNTIF(A$5:A5,rng)=0,rng+{0;0}))

key then hit ENTER.

Enter this formula in B5 and copy down to B7:

=COUNTIF(rng,A5)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rich DeVito" wrote in message
I am trying to solve a scoring problem for a car show.

In a spread sheet we will have entry number of cars running across columns
that represent individual 1st place choices. Without filtering and
resorting
the data (no time at the car show) I need to dynamically determine the top
three entires and return the number of times they show up. I.E if these
are
the car entry numbers in their respective columns.

1 2 1 3 2 4 2 4 1 1 1 4 2

Should return
1 5
2 4
4 3
I don't even need the second number (number of votes, but we probably need
it to verify the formula is working).

Thanks!!