Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria Jacob Skaria is offline

Default How to I subtract two dates & times to obtain a time

The entries in A and B need to be in the excel date/time format..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"msbutton27" wrote:

Thanks for the trick, but my equation of B1-A1 still produces and error.

I wonder if there is something in the format for A & B that needs to occur.
The column A contains, Month, Day, Year and Time - does this need to split.

...Mike

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Format the formula cell to [h]:mm so as to get around the 24 hours..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"msbutton27" wrote:

Hi folks, I have hopefully what will be a quick and easy question.

I have two colums (A & B) that hold two date and time values, a start and
complete time.
Jul 19 2009 08:30 Jul 19 2009 12:54

I want to be able to find out the actual time difference, for example above
would show 4:24 hours.

In some cases the start and complete dates could be a day or 2 apart,
therefore I would want the output to be displayed in hour format, for example:

Jul 17 2009 08:30 Jul 19 2009 12:54

Column C should be 52:24 hours.

Is there a way to do this.