Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
msbutton27 msbutton27 is offline

Default How to I subtract two dates & times to obtain a time

Sorry what is OP, is it operator?

Column A & B both follow the format:

MONTH DAY YEAR 24TIME
Jul 19 2009 08:30

Do i need to split this out or have a customer format.

"JoeU2004" wrote:

"Mike H" wrote:
=B1-A1
format as [hh]:mm

I think that should be the custom format [h]:mm to avoid the leading zero in
4:54, per the OP's request.

And that assumes that when the OP wrote Jul 19 2009 08:30, for example, he
meant that the cell contains a true date serial number, perhaps entered as
Jul 19, 2009 8:30 AM, which has the custom format "mmm dd yyyy hh:mm"
(without quotes).

Or does the cell contain text?