Dave Peterson

My bet is that you're running xl2002+.

You selected your range and did:
Edit|Replace (or even Find)
Then you clicked on Find All

That showed you all the finds in that dialog--but it also changed your selection
(that initial column/range is no longer selected).

Then instead of reselecting your range, you hit Change All and kablewie
(ka-bloo-y!).

So avoid that intermediate FindAll or reselect the original range.

Jane wrote:

I highlighted a column that contained a simple formula in a very large
spreadsheet. I used REPLACE function to replace the cell locations in the
formula so that I didn't have to re-type the formula with the new cell
locations.

I wanted to change the formula from =SUM(S6:S20). I wanted to change the
formula to =SUM(C6:C20). I used REPLACE to do this before.

THIS time, the REPLACE function changed cells - formulas and text - outside
of my highlight resulting in ALL of the S's on the spreadsheet to a C. ex.
the word submit was changed to "cubmit" and any formulas with a S cell
location changed to a C cell location.

any thoughts?

thank you in advance! jane

--