Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Struggling in Sheffield[_2_] Struggling in Sheffield[_2_] is offline

Default Compare value to Lookup table min & max, return contents of 3r

Sorry Howard but this is just giving me a #REF error. My real life full
formula (in N218) using your help is:

=IF(OR(I218="",J218="",K218=""),"",IF(L218=M218,"X ",VLOOKUP(L218,J425:J436,2,1))

A bit more complex I know(!), I just tried to simplify for clarity.
My calculated value is in L218, calculated from numbers in cells I218:K218.
If my calculated value (L218) is the same as another value in K218, I want
the formula (in N218) to return "X".
If the first two conditions are false, I have a table of Min and Max values
in two columns (I425:J436).
Whatever Min & Max my calculated value falls between, I want the value in a
cell adjacent to the table (K425:K436) returned to N218.

Cheers.

"L. Howard Kittle" wrote:

Try this.

With your MAX values in D1 to D6 and the colors in E1 to E6 and the MAX
value to look up is in A1....

=VLOOKUP(A1,D1:E6,2,1)

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Struggling in Sheffield"
wrote in message ...
Hi
Excel 2003
As per the example created below I'm using a formula to return a number
value (in D1) that can be anywhere between 0.00 & 6.00 (including 0.00 &
6.00)
I want my formula (in E1) to compare the value (D1) to min & max values in
table (A4:A9), so whichever min & max my value equals or falls between, it
will return the value in a 3rd cell adjacent the appropriate min & max
cells(C4:C9) :

A B C D E
1 4.75 Pink
2
3 Min Max
4 0.00 0.99 Blue
5 1.00 1.99 Green
6 2.00 2.99 Yellow
7 3.00 3.99 Red
8 4.00 4.99 Pink
9 5.00 6.00 Orange

My calculated value is in D1
The formula (in E1) needs to compare D1 with the table in A4:B9
then return the corresponding value (colour) from C4:C9 and place it in E1

Hope my explanation is clear enough, thanks for looking & hope you can
help.
Cheers.