Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
L. Howard Kittle L. Howard Kittle is offline

Default Compare value to Lookup table min & max, return contents of 3rd ce

Try this.

With your MAX values in D1 to D6 and the colors in E1 to E6 and the MAX
value to look up is in A1....

=VLOOKUP(A1,D1:E6,2,1)

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Struggling in Sheffield"
wrote in message ...
Hi
Excel 2003
As per the example created below I'm using a formula to return a number
value (in D1) that can be anywhere between 0.00 & 6.00 (including 0.00 &
6.00)
I want my formula (in E1) to compare the value (D1) to min & max values in
table (A4:A9), so whichever min & max my value equals or falls between, it
will return the value in a 3rd cell adjacent the appropriate min & max
cells(C4:C9) :

A B C D E
1 4.75 Pink
2
3 Min Max
4 0.00 0.99 Blue
5 1.00 1.99 Green
6 2.00 2.99 Yellow
7 3.00 3.99 Red
8 4.00 4.99 Pink
9 5.00 6.00 Orange

My calculated value is in D1
The formula (in E1) needs to compare D1 with the table in A4:B9
then return the corresponding value (colour) from C4:C9 and place it in E1

Hope my explanation is clear enough, thanks for looking & hope you can
help.
Cheers.