Bernie Deitrick

Michelle,

Learn how to use Pivot Tables, and your life will be much easier.

Select your data table, the use Data / Pivot table... then click Finish.

Drag the 'Product' button (its actual name will depend on your column
heading) to the row fields area, then do the same for "Sales Person", and
then drag either of those to the data field as well. You will then get a
count of how many of each product each salesman sold, with no formulas
involved.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Michelle Tucker" wrote in
message ...
I always seem to have this problem, and any solutions I have I don't truly
understand!
I have a list of products sold in one column, and in the next, the name of
the salesperson who sold it.
What I want to do is count up the amount of particular products sold by

each
person.
I understand countif and sumif, but it seems to be done with a

combintation
of INDEX and MATCH, which I don't get.
What is the easiest way to do this as it is something I always seem to

need
to do, but then chicken out!
--
Michelle Tucker