Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Copy and Paste cells limitation

Leave your data in that column (assume column A, starting with A1).
Put this formula in B1:

=TEXT(A1,"0000-000")

Then in B2 you can put this formula:

=B1&", "&TEXT(A2,"0000-000")

and then copy this down to the bottom of the data in column A. A quick
way of doing this is to select B2, and then double-click on the fill
handle (the small black square in the bottom right hand corner of the
cursor). The combined data that you want will be in the bottom cell of
column B. Select that cell, click <copy, then right-click and choose
Paste Special | Values (check) | OK then <Esc. Then you could move
that cell to another more-convenient location at the top of your
sheet.

You can get rid of all the other formulae in column B above that cell.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 8, 6:54*pm, Villy wrote:
I need some help with Excel. *I have a worksheet with over 1,000 rows. *I
want to copy one column, which contains a value format like “1234-567”, and
transpose the values to a row. *I can’t use the traditional ‘copy-and-paste
special – transpose’ because there are too many cells across. *Once I have a
row, I need to make it into one long string where each value is separated by
commas. *Does anyone know how to do this?

I tried to transpose my column in chunks, into rows, and then copying into
Word, but Word brings over the borders so it displays as a table – which I
don’t want. *And I don’t know how to add the comma separators.

Thanks for any help you can provide.