Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Timmons Sean Timmons is offline

Default Excel reading pasted values as Scientific Notation

If you import the file by using the typical open in Excel and use the Text to
Columns feature, when you select your delimiter type, if yu click next, you
should also have an opportunity to select individual fields and set their
field types. Try changing the one below to Text prior to completing the
import.

"Brad Autry" wrote:

Hello,

My dilemma is as follows:

I'm exporting large tab delimited files from SAP for manipulation in Excel.
Many of the cost centers for this company are alphanumeric, but often using
the letter E, for whatever reason. Example: 000776E0000010. When brought
into Excel, it's viewing these as scientific notation and displaying the
value as 7.76E+12.

Once it's at this point, I can't try to change the cell format to text or
general because Excel has already registered the entry as 7760000000000.
I've tried copying and paste special as text, it still comes out as the
number.

Is there any way around this or am I screwed?

Many thanks in advance.

Brad