Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Default Complicated!! - Conditional formatting with nested function

.. excel accepts the formula but no formatting takes place.
.. Where might my mistake be?

Perhaps you mis-understood where the actual target cell is referenced in
your OFFSET expression, since it is row/col sensitive depending on which cell
it is placed (this can get confusing)?

I could get something like this working in CF for cell C1:
=OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COLUMN(),ROW())),0,3)="te xt"
where the target cell was D3, which contained: text
It was D3 because the indirect bit resolved to "A3", the offset's anchor
cell, and the col param was 3

Any good? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore

"JP knows excel enough to mess it up" wrote:

Ok, i have a sheet with a series of columns that take user input. to the
right of the user input (offset by 0 rows & 3 columns) i have predetermined
limitations. I am attempting to set a conditional format that highlights the
user-editable fields if their values fall outside the paramaters of those in
the next few ranges. The referenced data will eventually be hidden from the
user which is why I want excel to alert the users if they are making
mistakes. What I have been attempting to use is something like this:

=if(offset(indirect(address(column(), row())), 0, 3) = <<some value
....using a formula under conditional formatting
....using excel 2007
.... for testing purposes I have been using sample text, i.e. ="test"