Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JP knows excel enough to mess it up[_2_] JP knows excel enough to mess it up[_2_] is offline

Default Complicated!! - Conditional formatting with nested function

Ok, i have a sheet with a series of columns that take user input. to the
right of the user input (offset by 0 rows & 3 columns) i have predetermined
limitations. I am attempting to set a conditional format that highlights the
user-editable fields if their values fall outside the paramaters of those in
the next few ranges. The referenced data will eventually be hidden from the
user which is why I want excel to alert the users if they are making
mistakes. What I have been attempting to use is something like this:

=if(offset(indirect(address(column(), row())), 0, 3) = <<some value
.....using a formula under conditional formatting
.....using excel 2007
..... for testing purposes I have been using sample text, i.e. ="test"

excel accepts the formula but no formatting takes place. Where might my
mistake be?