Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DebbieSue DebbieSue is offline

Default I NEED A MACRO!!!!

Here is the Macro: I want it to save to a specific folder on my desktop, but
it is saving to My Documents.

Sub OtherTextFiles()
'
' OtherTextFiles Macro
' Macro recorded 9/3/2009 by Debbie Powers
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+o
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs _
FileFormat:=xlText
End Sub

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

It's time to share your recorded macro and the details of where you want it
saved (and how the name should be created???).

DebbieSue wrote:

I created the other workbook and I keep it open and go to the actual workbook
I want to use the macro in. It is listed under Macros, but when I run it, it
doesn't save where I want it to. Actually, I'm not sure where it is saving it
to.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Glad you got it working.

If you have the code that you like finished, you can:

Start a new workbook
Copy that code into a new module in that new workbook's project.
Then save that new workbook with a nice name: DebbieSueUtils.xls

Then open this file whenever you need to run the macro (or any of the macros
that you create in the future!).

You'll be able to activate your data workbook/worksheet and run your macro
(tools|macros|macro or alt-f8). (You could even use a shortcut key (if you have
a good memory!).)

Personally, I like a nicer interface--maybe a new item on the Worksheet Menu
bar--or a separate toolbar.

If you want to go this route, you could save that DebbieSueUtil workbook as an
addin (it's an option in the file|saveAs dialog).

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

And if you use xl2007:

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

DebbieSue wrote:

ok. Can you tell me if I can save this Macro to work in ANY excel file I have
open?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

And you're re-opening up the .xls* file--not the text file, right???

If you're using xl2007, make sure you save the workbook as a macro enabled
workbook (*.xlsm).

If you're not using xl2007, you may want to share the exact details of what
you're doing.

DebbieSue wrote:

I tried what you said and it still didn't save it.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you save the file as a normal workbook, then the recorded macro will be saved
with that workbook.

So record your macro when you save it as a text file. Stop recording. Save the
file once more as a normal workbook.

DebbieSue wrote:

I have an excel file that I always save as a text file for importing into
another program. I was wondering if a Macro could be made to do this? I have
tried to record the Macro as I do it, but it didn't even save it.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson