Vasant Nanavati

I could not replicate your results.

If, somehow, you neglected to highlight a range and had just one cell
selected, Excel would then have carried out the replacement on the entire
worksheet. You have to have at least two cells selected for the replacement
to be restricted to the selection.

--

Vasant

"Jane" wrote in message
I highlighted a column that contained a simple formula in a very large
spreadsheet. I used REPLACE function to replace the cell locations in the
formula so that I didn't have to re-type the formula with the new cell
locations.

I wanted to change the formula from =SUM(S6:S20). I wanted to change the
formula to =SUM(C6:C20). I used REPLACE to do this before.

THIS time, the REPLACE function changed cells - formulas and text -

outside
of my highlight resulting in ALL of the S's on the spreadsheet to a C.

ex.
the word submit was changed to "cubmit" and any formulas with a S cell
location changed to a C cell location.

any thoughts?

thank you in advance! jane