Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid vezerid is offline

Default Over complicated Calculation?

Clive,

You need to bring Job Count info next to your weights table with
VLOOKUP. So in D2 of Sheet1 (weights) use:

=VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)

Once you have the expanded table you can list all your area codes in a
separate area, say Sheet3!A2:A21. Then, next to Area1, in Sheet3!B2
use:

=SUMPRODUCT((Sheet1!$A$2:$A$101=A2)*Sheet1!$C$2:$C $101*Sheet1!$D$2:$D
$101)/100

Copy down

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Sep 2, 10:21*am, quetzalc0atl wrote:
Dear Learned Excel Gurus,

I'm currently working on a calculation which I believe to be quite
complicated. *I was wondering if anyone could please help me simplify
or solve this problem.

I'm currently trying to re-calculate job counts from one smaller
geographic area (LSOAs) to another larger one (Neighbourhoods). *Many
of the LSOAs crosscut the larger neighbourhood areas and have been
given weightings of where they fall. *Some neighbourhoods may contain
one or two LSOAs and some can contain as many as 10 LSOAs. *There are
43 neighbourhoods and 160 LSOAs.

E.g.

Neighbourhood * LSOA * *Weighting
Area1 * LSOA1 * 40
Area1 * LSOA2 * 20
Area1 * LSOA3 * 100
Area1 * LSOA4 * 100
Area2 * LSOA2 * 20
Area2 * LSOA5 * 95
Area2 * LSOA6 * 75
Area2 * LSOA7 * 60
Area2 * LSOA8 * 99
Area2 * LSOA9 * 80
Area3 * LSOA2 * 60
Area3 * LSOA1 * 20
Area3 * LSOA10 *35
etc

Given the table below I need to calculate the job count for each of
the 43 Neighbourhood areas using the weightings lookup table above
which is on another tab.

LSOA * *Job Count
LSOA1 * 25
LSOA2 * 20
LSOA3 * 5
LSOA4 * 35
LSOA5 * 15
LSOA6 * 30
LSOA7 * 15
LSOA8 * 35
LSOA9 * 25
LSOA10 *45
etc

This calculation is something I wish to distribute to other
departments - most of which do not use MS Access. *I've been racking
my brains for a good few days now on how to do this in Excel but I
have drawn a complete blank. *I think I need some fresh perspective on
this - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clive