Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Thomas M.[_3_] Thomas M.[_3_] is offline

Default Sum Column Based on Cell Color

The cells were colored manually. Each cell is a grand total for a
corresponding table. I figure that I can sum only the grand total numbers
from each table by either reworking the spreadsheet and using Excel's
subtotal feature, or by adding a column that would include only those grand
total numbers. But when I was looking at the problem I had this idea of
doing a conditional sum based on the cell color, and I just got curious as to
whether or not that can be done.
--
Thanks for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Sum based on the same criteria as how the cells became colored.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Thomas M." wrote in message
Excel 2007

Is there a way to sum a column of numbers based on the background color of
the cells? For example, I have a column that contains gold, blue, and
green
cells, and I want to sum only the green cells. The color definition is:

Red 153
Green 204
Blue 0