Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
michelle michelle is offline

Default setting up spreadsheet

that works well if i copy all data to each row. my problem then is how do i
count number of different contacts? i may have 50 rows, but all same contact
name. wish i knew how to set this up the proper way.

i have 12 columms of info in each row. each row represents one contact.
however, i may have 50 entries for only 3 of the 12 columns (date/type of
contact/notes) for that one contact (i add a note each time i am in touch
with that contact). what is the best way to format/enter so i can sort and
keep all rows for one contact together can you group new rows together to
represent one contact? If so, then how do you count # of unique contacts?

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Well, you can sort by up to three columns at once. So, you would sort by
Contatcn name, then by State, or State then contact name..

"Michelle" wrote:

i don't know excel very well at all... i likely don't even have the file
created/set up properly... when you say "bottom of list" do you mean adding a
new row each time i have an update? that's what i've been doing, but sorting
by state column doesn't allow me to keep all of the rows together with that
one contact.

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Well, you can add new info at the bottom of your list at any time, then just
use Data sort and select your contact name and, say contact date columns to
keep the list in order.

"Michelle" wrote:

using excel for sales contact log. i have row for each contact. I have
several columns for each contact (name, co, address, phone ... date of
contact, type of contact, notes. how do i format so i can add to the "date of
contact" "type of contact" "notes" columns AND keep related info with same
contact for sorting? I apologize, not sure how to even ask what i'm trying to
accomplish. thanks in advance!