Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BLUV BLUV is offline

Default VLOOKUP and MID Function

Sean DUDE!!! Hey I'm excited to report that I finally get it to work. What
I discovered is that I had to change my cell format to General and then use
your formula to change the data. When I had the format set to number or
text, the formula would not work for me. Weird and painful....but I'm on my
way now and have learned a lot.

Thank you very much for your time and effort. Really appreciate it.
--
Bluv

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(ISERROR(MID($B2,FIND(" -",$B2)-6,6)),"0",VALUE(MID($B2,FIND("
-",$B2)-6,6),0))

"BLUV" wrote:

It probably is but I don't know what I need to do? I've tried right clicking
on both cells in both worksheets and selected format "text", so they are the
same, but I still get a #NA. I then tried switch all the cells to "number"
format with not luck, and then again with "General" format.

Do I need to alter my MID function so that when it strips out the numbers
they get placed in the cell in a different manner? Then my VLOOK function
would see the number instead of the function?
--
RyGuy

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

perhaps 807600 is in text format.

Perhaps

=VLOOKUP("807600",TimeTotal,3,FALSE)

"BLUV" wrote:

I have 2 worksheets. This first worksheet I am using a formula to strip out
6 numerics from a cell of mixed alpha numeric characters. Here is the
formula I am using successfully.

IF(ISERROR(MID($B2,FIND(" -",$B2)-6,6)),"0",MID($B2,FIND(" -",$B2)-6,6))

Worksheet 1
A B C
2 807600 A807600 - Apps Platform Facility 272.2

Now, on the second sheet I would like to perform a vlookup function similar
to the one below. Where 'TimeTotal's is a reference to cells = 'Worksheet
1'!A2-C400

VLOOKUP(807600,TimeTotal,3,FALSE)

The current way I have this returns '#NA' in the VLOOKUP, but I can see
807600 listed on the other sheet. Can you help me get this to work?

--
RyGuy