Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
mick perry mick perry is offline

Default plotting line charts with formula based 'gaps'

I am trying to visually represent different conditions on a line chart (e.g.
underlying data is rainfall in the UK; plot as a dashed line. The conditions
are times when the wind is from the north, times when the temperature is
below 10C, and both; plot as different thickness lines on top of the
underlying). I've been doing this by calculating when the different
conditions are true in diff't columns, returning the underlying data when
they are and returning N/As when they're not, then cutting and pasting as
values, sorting to delete the N/A's, sorting back by date and displaying as
several lines of different formats on top of each other on the chart. Any
other ways to do this? if I could leave gaps in lines when the formula value
is N/A it would make this much faster, but i can't get it to stop
interpolating unless i clear the cells...