Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Colleen10 Colleen10 is offline

Default subtracting date and time formats excluding weekends

Thank you...you're right, I forgot about that and I was recently upgrated to
Excel 2003. I still have the name error..would I need to reboot?

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Form XL 2003 Help when I search NETWORKDAYS:
If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and
load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

Please come back if more info needed
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Colleen10" wrote in message
Hi Bob,

When I try this formula I get a name error. do you know why?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

I told you weekedns were a problem <bg

I think this works for all situations

=NETWORKDAYS(I2,J2)-(WEEKDAY(I2,2)<6)
+(1-MOD(I2,1))*(WEEKDAY(I2,2)<6)
+(MOD(J2,1)-1)*(WEEKDAY(J2,2)<6)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Diane13" wrote in message
That formula worked on everything but these four date ranges:

I J
8/19/2006 22:43 8/21/2006 8:22
7/30/2006 16:21 7/31/2006 15:33
7/29/2006 15:16 7/31/2006 7:48
8/27/2006 22:55 8/28/2006 9:17

These all resulted in 0 0:00 and I am not sure why. However, I have
what
need for my project so thank you so much for all your help!!! I would
have
never figured out the MOD command on my own. Thanks!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

There seem to be various problems with weekend dates. This seems more
robust

=NETWORKDAYS(I2,J2)-((WEEKDAY(J2,2)<6)*1)+IF(WEEKDAY(I2,2)<6,MOD(J2,1)-MOD(I
2,1),0)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Diane13" wrote in message
I think I figured it out. This formula seems to be working -

=IF(NOT(NETWORKDAYS(I2,I2)),J2-I2,(NETWORKDAYS(I2,J2)-1+MOD(J2,1)-MOD(I2,1))
)

Thanks for all your help Bob!!!

"Diane13" wrote:

Bob, that worked great except I know have one minor quirk. When
the
'received' date happens to fall on a weekend day, I
(understandibly)
get
negative result (########). Is there anything I can add to the
formula
prevent these few instances? Possibly an Excel version of the
IF,
THEN,
ELSE
statement?

THANKS!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

that should be upto :-)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing
direct)

"Diane13" wrote in message
I am trying to figure out how to subtract a cell containing a
mm/dd/yyyy
hh:mm format from another cell with the same format and
exclude
the
weekends.

Example:

A1(received): 7/28/06 15:28
A2(submitted): 7/31/06 16:07
A3 The difference in these two dates and times, excluding
the
weekend, to
determine the total turn around time.

The answer should reflect 1 day and 39 minutes in a format
such
as d
hh:mm
or any other format that would make this easier.

I have the entire list of Excel functions and have tried all
of
them
that
think are logical but I can't seem to get the correct days
and
time
brought
together into a single cell answer. Any help would be
GREATLY
appreciated!

I am using Excel 2003.

Thanks!