Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default can you make a drop down list in a drop down list?

http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"LHall" wrote in message
I, too, am attempting to nest a drop down list within in a validated list;
however, what I would really like to accomplish is this two-tier selection
within one cell. I liken this to a two-tier drop down menu, whereby you
select one item from a menu and a fly-out menu appears, from which you can
select one item (which carries out the appropriate function).

Specifically, in excel, I have a select set of 60 tasks. For 10+ of these
tasks, I have 5 subtasks. In a validated cell, I select any of the 10+
'master' tasks, I would like to have another fly-out list of options
appear
(i.e. a list of the 5 subtasks). Upon selecting one of these subtasks, I
would ideally like to have a concatenation of the master task and subtask
appear in the cell (e.g. Task1:substask3). Is this type of programming
possible in Excel? I do not have the option of two different entries in
separate cells (i.e. as described in previous posts with dependent list
solutions). I hope this inquiry makes sense. I welcome your input!!!

"Sburlingham" wrote:

I have a problem, i created a drop down list of jobs that could have been
preformed i need to create another list for each of those jobs to be more
specific with what exactly was preformed i had this great idea that maybe
if
i picked for example warranty work that another list would drop down and
let
me pick manufacturing or vendor then another list would drop down and i
could
pick what kinda manufact. or vendor warranty it was. this may not be
possible
though it would be a great thing to implement in the future i need a way
that
is user friendly to detail what work was done. any ideas?