Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
twagner twagner is offline

Default pie chart areas reflect magnitude

Here is a typical application with real data.

Consider a system of conveyors to haul dirt out of a mine. The hourly
operating cost of each conveyor is a sum of:
power used
operator labor
maintenance labor
parts consumed

The system in question has 16 seperate conveyors; for simplicity, i will
only include 3 of them here. Costs are per operating hour.

CONVEYOR 1:
power: $343.56
operator: $9.62
maintenance: $0.48
parts: $31.96
total: $385.62

CONVEYOR 2:
power: $1062.04
operator: $9.62
maintenance: $0.48
parts: $40.22
total: $1112.36

CONVEYOR 3:
power: $434.84
operator: $9.62
maintenance: $0.48
parts: $30.28
total: $475.22

The result I am expect would show 3 pie charts, with #1 being the smallest
in total area, #3 being a little larger, and #2 being the largest by far.

You would see that the power is the vast majority of the cost for #2. Power
is large on #1 and #3, but the parts as a percentage show more influence on
#1 and #3 than they do on #2.

Excel will give me the actual percentages of each cost component, but I want
the 3 charts areas to be proportional to their totals. Short of saving all
the graphs as jpegs and manipulating them in photoshop, measuring the
diameters with a ruler and compressing/expanding them, etc.,..... is there a
way to make Excel do that operation for me?

Or think of it this way: a single discrete area of any one chart in any
section of a chart repesents $1. By having the area of #2 shown as much
larger than the other two, it is intuitively apparent that #2 is the largest
cost machine, and power is the largest cost part of that largest machine.

Quantitatve I can get from the numbers; qualitative is what I want to show
in a quick intuitive format to the client.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

At best this will produce a set of cartoons which is semi-qualitative
and non-quantitative.

If you post some typical data, perhaps someone could attempt a better
chart type.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

twagner wrote:
I want to show several pie charts all on the same scale.

Example: chart 1 values total to 10, chart 2 values total to 100. So chart
1 is scaled so its area=10, and chart 2 is scaled beside it so its area=100.
That would show not only the values of the parts in each pie chart, but the
comparison in magnitude between charts 1 and 2. In this example, chart 2 is
a much greater value, and therefore bigger pie chart.

How can I do that?

I tried it with bar charts, could not find what I wanted there, either.